- Lake Institute on Faith & Giving researches available data on congregational finances in U.S. and begins planning the National Study of Congregations’ Economic Practices (NSCEP).
- The NSCEP research team meets with focus groups of congregation leaders to identify important topics for the study.
- Input is gathered from an Advisory Committee of congregational and religious studies scholars.
- Grant proposal to Lilly Endowment Inc. is written.
- Lilly Endowment Inc. accepts grant proposal and funds the NSCEP
- Survey questions written, edited, and pre-tested by congregational leaders
- Nationally representative sample of U.S. congregations selected
- Mid-January. Selected congregations invited to participate in the survey
- Fall 2018. analysis of survey data and publication of NSCEP overview
- In-depth phone interviews with leaders from a subset of participating congregations
- Thematic reports published from web survey data
- Site visits to a subset of participating congregations
- Site visits to selected congregations continue